First and foremost, let’s establish the fact that the Pomeranian Husky / Pomsky is not a separate breed and has not yet been recognized by any kennel or authority/clubs over the world. The breed is still considered and is a mixture of two dog breeds, Husky and Pomeranian. These two dog breeds are extremely different from each other in size and characteristics. Many consider the fact that breeding the two is not a good idea, especially considering the size of the two dogs, as it can lead to birth defects.
The Husky is considered to be a large dog breed as well as a working dog, which means that it will require some form of exercise every day. It is also accustomed to a cold climate, so you will have to take care of that aspect as well when considering keeping a Husky in warmer weather.
The Pomeranian, on the other hand, is a toy breed and very fluffy. It can easily survive cold and normal climatic conditions, but hot weather might prove to be too much for it. The dog is very temperamental and can get aggressive at times, especially towards strangers.
Nevertheless, a Pomsky’s demand is quite high as people love to keep a different and unique dog breed. Breeders somehow continue breeding the two dogs and selling them; you will find them differently priced with different breeders.
Cost of a Pomsky
The fact that the dog is high in demand indicates the quantity that the dog is available in the market. Especially in holiday seasons, the demand for the dog goes quite high, and it can get a little pricier. This is one reason why many people like to go for other dog breeds at the local shelter, which can be just as loving, but if your heart is set on a Pomsky, you may need to wait till you can afford to get one. Typically, the dog will be sold to you for around $1,000 to $1,200. The price can vary, and it can be higher or lower.
Remember that buying a dog is a big responsibility and unless you are willing to take care of it and give it the attention that it deserves, do not purchase one, especially if you plan on dropping it off at the shelter.
Characteristics of a Husky
The Husky, as you probably might know, is a working dog breed that lives in a cold climate. It is usually used to pull sleds and work in the snow with people. The dog is not much of a barker, and neither is it considered to be a ferocious breed. It is quite mellow and will not be such a great breed to work with if you are looking for a guard dog. As it is a working dog breed, it can get bored quickly if it is not doing anything, and that’s usually when its naughtiness kicks in and it can prove to be too much to handle. Huskies are also very strong-willed, so you will need to be just as strong-willed or maybe more to be able to properly manage the breed.
If you want your dog to get along with other breeds and animals, you must make sure that you introduce it to others in its puppyhood to ensure that it is friendly towards them. Some of the other characteristics of a Husky that need to be mentioned are that it is also very loving, sociable, and faithful.
Characteristics of a Pomeranian
Do not be fooled by the size of this dog; you will be amazed by the amount of energy it has and how fast it can go from one place to another. If you cannot handle a hyperactive dog that barks a lot, the Pomeranian is not the dog for you as it will bark almost all the time. The dog is also brilliant and strong-willed. When you are raising a Pomeranian puppy, you will need to show some tough love, as the dog can prove to be a handful, especially since it tends to become the alpha. Hence, as soon as it starts showing signs of that, establish the fact that you are the alpha of the house and it can be the beta. The dog also needs a lot of exercise, so you will need to take it for walks almost every day to ensure that it remains well-behaved. Otherwise, it will cause trouble.
If you have children, then it’s better that you consider a less aggressive breed as the Pomeranian is not great with kids, though it can be great with the elderly. Remember that you will need to put in a lot of effort if you own a Pomeranian.
The characteristics of a Pomeranian Husky have not been defined yet as the dog has not been recorded as a separate breed in itself. The temperament of a Pomsky is unpredictable as the dog is a mixture between a Pomeranian and a Husky, both of whom have different personalities, so it can take over the personality of either one. The chances are that the puppy will inherit the characteristics of the one whose genes are more dominant. The chances are that your Pomsky will turn out to be a strong-willed dog as both parents have those genes present in their DNA.
One of the characteristics you can expect from a Pomeranian Husky is that it may bark a medium amount as the Pomeranian is a barker, while a Husky barely barks. The dog will be considered as a medium-sized breed as the Husky is a large breed and the Pomeranian is a toy breed, so the puppy turns out to be more medium sized. While the dog will need a lot of exercise as the chances are that it is an active dog, the good part is that it will not need a lot of exercise every day, though it is always a good idea to take your dog for a short walk every day.
As every dog matures, it becomes less hyperactive and starts showing more signs of mellowness, so the Pomsky should not prove to be too much trouble to handle, though it might be a handful when it is a puppy. The characteristics of the dog will speak a lot about your training and handling as they will have a severe impact on how the dog turns out. Hence, make sure you make an effort and try your best to handle the dog properly and train it well enough so that it knows your commands by heart.
The coats of the Pomeranian and Husky are quite long, so be ready to have a dog with a double length coat, which means that the dog will require some grooming. Also, the dog will shed fur, so be willing to have dog hair all over your house.
Another thing we must mention here is that there are two types of coats that your dog can have. It can have either fluffy fur like a Pomeranian or smooth and glossy coat like that of a Husky.
Though it has double the coat length, the level of grooming required will be normal, so you don’t have to worry about it too much. The most that you will need to do is invest a little in a good shampoo and conditioner along with a good brush and nail clippers. You can give your pup a shower once every week to make sure it stays clean and its coat remains shiny and does not smell. Another thing you will need to do is brush its fur once or twice a week to make sure there are no tangles and it remains smooth and even throughout. You will also need to clip nails every time they grow too long; this is so that they do not become too long and cause a nuisance.
If you do not want to wash and groom the dog yourself, you can simply send it over to a dog groomer who will take care of all its needs. A good shampoo and conditioner will maintain and keep up the shine and smoothness of the dog’s coat.
Health and diet
You need to make sure that your dog is well taken care of and that you provide it with the right diet and food, which includes vegetables and fruit, which a lot of people forget to add to the dog’s diet. They ensure the dog’s health and the upkeep of its coat.
As the dog breed is relatively new, no health issues have yet been determined. Only time will tell if there are any which you need to consider and look out for. Till then, just be conscious of your dog’s diet. To date, Pomskys have proven to be good breeds that have a life expectancy of about 13 to 15 years. They may have some issues with plaque buildup, which you will need to make sure does not cause a problem by brushing its teeth regularly.
A good option is to use dry kibble of exquisite quality. You can use different varieties that are available in the market. It will ensure that the dog gets its share of essential nutrients. When it is a puppy, simply add some water to the kibble before giving it to the dog. You can also provide it with some meat mixed with rice, which will prove to be an excellent source of nutrition. Some of the fruits and vegetables that you can add to its diet are:
Make sure that if you are giving the dog milk, it is diluted. Do not commit the mistake of giving your dog chocolate as it can prove to be hazardous to its health.
One of the best ways to train the dog is with the help of reward-based methods. These methods have proven to be highly effective with stubborn breeds and are simple to implement. Have some treats ready at hand when training your dog and every time it performs well, give the treat to it. You should take out at least 3 to 4 hours per day to train your dog.
A Pomsky is a combination of two dogs that both require a lot of exercise. Though you do not need to provide a lot of exercise every day, you will need to take your dog for a short walk every day to make sure it has a way to release its bundled up energy. Otherwise, this energy will come out inside the house. Talking about the downside of not giving your dog a proper outlet to release its energy, you will find that it will start to take out its hyperactivity inside the house and will eventually end up destroying and damaging the furniture.
So now that the importance of its exercise is established, you need to know that the Pomsky is part Pomeranian and part Husky, which means that it will have a lot of energy in its body. Therefore, you will need to make sure that you take it out for a good length of time and provide it with enough exercise that when it returns home, it is exhausted. This will also ensure that it behaves properly. Some good exercises that you can provide your Pomsky are:
- Playing fetch with the dog with a ball or Frisbee
- Running with your dog
- A simple walk will do it good too
Make sure that at home, the dog has a couple of toys of its own to play with so that in case it gets bored, the first thing it will attack and play with are its toys. There are many types of toys available on the market including chew toys, squeaky toys, and stuffed toys. Give your dog those which you are sure will be best suited for it. Also, make sure that you give your teething puppy a chew toy so that it has a commendable outlet to chew its heart out.
These dogs tend to want to live in the cold because of its parents. A Husky lives in a cold environment, while a Pomeranian needs cold as well. A Pomeranian Husky will also thrive best in a cold environment, so if you live near the tropics and have a Pomsky, make sure that you turn on the air-conditioning for the dog and it is kept cold at all times. You can easily keep a Pomsky in the snow as it will be perfectly happy since that is its preferred environment and its double coat is built for this purpose.
This dog will need a lot of space inside the house as well, so unless you live in a large apartment or house, keeping a Pomeranian Husky will be difficult as the dog needs lots of space to run around and release its energy. If you have a backyard, there is nothing better than it as the dog can easily live outdoors and indoors. The garden will provide the perfect outlet for it to release its energy and will keep it happier for a longer period.
Things you need to know about a Pomeranian Husky
There are a few things that you need to know about a Pomsky before you consider buying one. These aspects of the Pomsky will help you decide whether you will be able to take care of it and whether it is the perfect dog breed for you.
- The Pomsky is not a purebred. This dog is a mix between a Husky and a Pomeranian and is only being bred by local breeders to cater to the rise in the demand for designer dogs. It is not considered as a breed by any kennel club and is considered as a medium to small sized dog. In other words, it would be safe to dub it as a mutt rather than a purebred.
- Puppies from the same litter or same parents will not look the same. Every pup will be of a different color, and there might even be a little difference in its size and temperament. The dog’s coat length and texture will also be distinct from each other. Be careful when deciding on your breeder as only then will you be able to get a good pup. Otherwise, the puppy can turn out to be of any type, depending on which parent’s genes were more dominant.
- The price of the dog can be quite high. You will find that the price of these “designer dogs” starts from $1000 and can even go up to a drastic $3000. Only invest in this dog if you are willing to pay this amount of money. Breeders charge so much due to the rise in demand for the breed and because it is not easy to breed a large sized dog with a toy breed.
- Remember that the dog is a mixture between a large breed and a toy breed, so the chances are that the puppies can be anywhere in the middle. You will find some puppies to weigh up to 15 pounds, while some will turn out to be over 30 lbs. So the size of the dog that you get is basically based on your luck.
- Though the personality of the dog cannot be determined, especially at a young age, you will need to keep an eye out for the dog showing traits of a Pomeranian as those will be difficult to handle at a later stage. Overall, the dog will require a lot of attention and will need to be trained and handled well by a strong-willed person.
- It is best to keep it as a family dog as the breed can get bored when it is lonely, which means that it will then resort to destructive ways to get your attention. If you have a big family and keep a Pomsky, the chances are that someone will always be involved with this energetic dog, which will keep its exercise and attention requirements in balance.
- The dog has a long coat, which can be of different texture. Whatever texture it has, it will be prone to shedding. You will find fur on furniture, clothes, and all over the house. Therefore, only if you are okay with seeing so much hair in your house, you should make the decision to buy a Pomsky as it will prove to be a friendly companion.
- Finding a good breeder with a well-built reputation is one of the most daunting tasks as you will eventually be taking a risk with the purchase. Do some research and ask people about good breeders who are selling Pomskys. If you have the options, check out their previous litters as well and then make the decision to buy from a particular breeder to avoid any troubles.
Before taking up the responsibility of getting yourself a Pomsky, make sure that you are ready, and so are the people you are living with since you will need to give this dog a lot of your time and attention. It will prove to be one of the best dogs that you have in your life.